Fishing without the right bait is pointless. You’ll sit there on the shore or rocking back and forth in your boat all day hoping for some action.
Marketing isn’t much different. If you put the wrong bit of content or information for the wrong niche, no lead is going to follow.
What is a marketing hook? It’s a sample, something to give your leads a taste of what they’re missing if they don’t click.
For fish, this means the food they already consume on a daily basis yet better looking. For leads, it means the media they consume on a daily basis yet more entertaining or interesting.
Here are some tactics that might help you reel in those leads.
1. Command Their Attention
Babies and marketing campaigns are killed by passive voice. You don’t want either to happen to you, do you?
This is why it’s crucial you use a commanding and active voice in your marketing hooks. If your hooks sound like they rolled off the tongue of an academic, you’re in the wrong field.
57% of leads have already made up their minds before reaching your hook. The other 43% need a nudge.
Commands such as “Try!” “Do!” “Feel!”Â compel people to act.
Here are a few examples:
Give in to your cravings and buy [insert delicious sale item]
Stop wasting your money!
2. Show Them a Better Future
Dissatisfaction is your friend. In 2017, only 33% of Americans said they were happy.
If over 75% of the population is dissatisfied, then it’s your responsibility to satisfy them. You merely need to find out what better future they crave.
What does your product or content do that will improve someone’s life? Hook them with a tutorial or an entertaining look at what they could be if they bought your product or clicked on your link.
3. Find That Pain Point
Sometimes people need to feel uncomfortable before they decide to make a change. Often they’ve been uncomfortable for a while and the solution just hadn’t presented itself.
This is where your hook comes in. You remind the lead of a problem they have. It needs to be fixed immediately.
Create a video that speaks to this. Write an article that solves their problem in part. And if they click the link, they could solve their problem permanently.
4. Show Off What Others Have Said
90% of consumers claim that a positive review will influence their buying decisions. A sincere, positive, and voluntary testimonialÂ or review could be the perfect hook to bring in leads.
But be careful with this one. Your testimonialsÂ need to sound and be genuine. Otherwise, your leads will pass you by with nary a glance.
5. Show Them Value Upfront
You want to avoid sounding “salesy.” There are ways to present value and there areÂ ways to present value.
When spouting off dollar amounts, you sound like a car salesman. Instead, show them what they could have if they clicked through to your product or content.
Ask yourself, how can you help your customers? That’s where the value of your product or content lies. Don’t sell specs or even the product. But hook them with how the product will solve a problem in their lives.