A couple months ago I wrote about how Twitthis launched a suggested user system and that I was going to heavily use it to see how many followers I could pick up. Its also pretty cool cause every time you submit a URL it shows you how many users have followed you because twitthis suggested them to.
Here is some of the things I implemented with Twitthis on my site:
1) WordPress plugin – This easily puts in a Twitthis button at the bottom of every post.
2) Javscript link – in my social icons I made it link using the twitthis js link found in the tools
3) Feedburner feedflare (RSS LINK) – Want to add twitthis to your RSS feed like I have? 2 years ago one of the Feedburner developers made a Twitthis feedflare and its in the official feedbuner catalog (but hard to find). When I implemented it I had a TON of people ask me how to do it so I made a simple video on youtube:
For those of you who use blogger there is a tutorial here on how to implement it into blogger.
From implementing Twitthis my twitter traffic tripped within a week and has not slowed down.
So that is great to get website hits but to really gain followers you need to do the following:
1) Click the twitthis button you see on sites – according to Yahoo! the button is on over 10 million sites now including some HEAVY hitters like official government websites like texas.gov and oklahoma.gov as well as the new twilight movie. Everywhere you see a page where the twitthis button is (or in a feed) that you find interesting click it and tweet it! Also when you do tweet it you will be offered to follow a suggested user. If you do both of these things you gain points and increase the chance that you will be suggested for people to follow.
2) Use the bookmarklet tool
Just click the link below and drag it to your toolbar or bookmarks bar like so:
Watch the walkthrough video i made below:
When you browse the web and see a link you like just click the bookmarklet tool and you will gain points to be the suggested user.
3) 1 click follow link. If you notice in every post I have a little footer that says you should follow me on twitter. The link goes to http://twitthis.com/follow/shoemoney which is a 1 click follow for twitthis users.
After watching Patrick Gavin pick up over 4,000 followers in his week long contest for Do It Yourself SEO I held a contest on twitthis for 10 flip mino hd’s and got a pretty huge response. The contest ended August 1st and we just started announcing the winners (on twitter).
If you are your company is interested in running a twitthis contest give them a shout.
The coolest thing about this service is it does not give a crap who I am. I am on the same playing field as you. I only get credit for links i submit.
If you think I am a shill for twitthis…. I am. I really like Nick and the rest of the guys at Chuug. I just noticed the other day they are now listed as a top 50 most used twitter client…. which is pretty huge considering they only implemented it in May. I am hoping to get a interview with Nick for our radio show or on the blog. Fire away with questions!
O ya also if you want to see twitthis implemented on your wordpress hosted blog then tweet Matt Mullenweg