Last night I did a 2 hour interview with Yaro Starrak. In the interview I basically talked non stop about my life – from high school until present. (For those of you interested, it’s probably one of the most detailed interviews about the ShoeMoney story I have ever given.)
During the interview, Yaro asked me a good question, “So there are all of these people who understand affiliate marketing, pay per click, and SEO but have no capital. How do you tell them to get started?”
My answer was pretty blunt. I said, “Well there is one thing you can’t teach and it’s confidence. If someone walked up to me and said they understand affiliate marketing and PPC and have no capital, my question to them is, ‘Why do you lack the confidence to try?’ ”
Meeting my wife was a HUGE turning point for me. Here is a woman who put herself through medical school and did whatever it took to get the job done. She left me with no excuses on why I could not better myself. She had enormous confidence in me and that is when everything changed.
It’s easy for me to say this now but it has taken years for me to build confidence. And by trying… and trying… and trying until I succeed – I have been able to gain confidence. I strive to never give up and constantly challenge myself to never settle into a safe job.
- When I launched Nextpimp, everyone said I was going to get my ass sued off. I was scared but kept the fear in check and went after it.
- When we launched AuctionAds, I had a lot of fear. I invested over $250k in servers and a business that was making ZERO revenue but I believed in it and we sold the company only 4 months after launching it and it was doing millions per month in revenue.
- When we started the Elite Retreat, the first 2 years were barely profitable but it turned out pretty good 4 years later. 😉
- When I first started speaking at conferences with Google execs on different panels, I was scared shitless. Now I enjoy it.
- When I launched a brand new company a couple months ago called ShoeMoney Tools everyone told me I was nuts for trying to launch a new startup in this economy. We are now over 1,000 users and growing at a rapid pace.
- In a couple months we are launching another new service oriented site and I am nervous…. but most of all – I AM CONFIDENT.
So throughout my career I have found myself scared quite a bit. But every time it has lead to an amazing experience. I don’t think many people have the confidence to take on their fears and this will always keep them down. So be confident in you skills, knowledge and goals and go for it.