This has without a doubt been the craziest week of my life.
Last Thursday night my wife went into labor at 5:30AM in the morning. Our baby Joslyn was born at 11:50PM that night.
When the baby was born it had a fever but nothing too serious. My wife also had a fever. They never thought to much about it.
For the next 3 days we kept hearing the same thing from the doctors. Everything looked ok but the baby was not improving.
Then on Tuesday the 8th my daughter was transferred to Childrens Medical Center in Omaha Nebraska. They a ton of lab work that morning including a spinal tap to test her Cerebral Spinal Fluid.
The CSF test came back positive for Meningitis and they saw bacteria growing in the culture so they were pretty sure it was Bacterial Meningitis.
If you research Neonatal infections Meningitis is about the wost possible one a baby can be born with. I made the mistake of Googleing for more information about Neonatal Bacterial Meningitis while we waited for more information and for the next 48 hours was a complete emotional disaster.
I think the fact my wife is a physician almost made things worse because she knew the stone cold reality of what happens to baby’s born with this. They started doing more tests to see how bad it had gotten. If there was puss pockets of bacteria within my baby’s brain then… well… bad things…
There are some people on the internet who wish me harm… Some say they wont stop until they see me cry. If they would have had a camera they would have got their wish.
This was without a doubt the longest 2 days of my life. No idea if my baby was going to live or die. I can’t put it into words.
Finally the CT scans came back and they showed that she had zero brain irritation or swelling. This was amazingly good news.
Later that day the news got even better when they said there was no sign of bacteria in the cultures after all… and it must have been an error by the technician who read the results the first time. My baby did in fact have meningitis but now it was revealed it was viral and not bacterial.
This was UNBELIEVABLE news! The difference between Viral and Bacterial Meningitis is huge. Her prognosis within a few hours went from about 5% chance of having a normal life to 95% chance with some possible hearing loss. They also said they expect Joslyn will be a completely normal healthy baby.
I thought I was dreaming… They took off all her anti-biotics… took out her feeding tube…
Now its several days later and she looks awesome. All her tests have come back with flying colors including the hearing test. They are saying she could come home as early as Tomorrow (Sunday) but more likely Monday or Tuesday.
I just want to thank each and every one of you for all your support, thoughts, and prayers.