At least once a day we get an email from someone who wants to work on a partnership together or a JV (I really hate that joint venture word). Its VERY VERY rare we work with other people on projects but a lot of times I will give my opinion on the idea or refer them to people who can help them.
Then there are those whos first impression on me is “This guy is a idiot”. Here are 10 reasons that tip me off.
1) Hotmail user – If your address ends in hotmail.com forget it. In my experience most hotmail users doing business with their hotmail accounts have missed so many opportunities because of hotid hotmail filtering. I am also not that big on other free hosted accounts… I mean if you can’t figure out how to register a 7$ domain and setup googles free gmail for business….
2) blogspot.com domain. If your trying to sell me something or convince me to work with you and your website is somethingspammy.blogspot.com odds are ive already hit delete. Its one thing to start out on a free host but even scoble eventually figured out he needed his own domain to quit looking like a amateur.
3) Spell my name wrong. Its Jeremy Schoemaker. Yes I spell names wrong all the time and yes I am a hypocrite. I am sure people delete my email and think I am a idiot when I do and rightfully so.
4) Tell me how great you are. Honestly I can do a Google search on your name and see what you have done or who you know so save it for someone who doesn’t know better.
5) Have Audio playing on your webpage. Evidently somewhere along the line some idiot convinced people that this improves conversion to have a voice start pitching your product. I HATE U WHOEVER YOU ARE.
6) Have one of those lander web pages that is like 10 pages long of crap just to get my email. Yes I am sure it works to get peoples email to spam them later I just think its retarded if this is your companies homepage.
7) Social stalker – bombard me with social network invitations. This really bugs me. Someone will email me with an idea or a proposal then requests to be a friend on linked in, myspace, facebook, pownce OHH then like initiations for every possible application.
8 ) Tell me your idea is identical to some other guys idea and because he was successful you will be successful too.
9) Have a quote from some A-lister about your product as a key point on why I should work with you. If they like you so much why are you coming to me.
10) Explain to me why you want me to invest time and money into a project you are not willing to quit your day job for.