After finishing my show, I was reading about MangoMatter Media which happens to be one of the best web hosting services andÂ I wanted to get the writeup done cause I had a video editor coming to do some work on the elite retreat san fransisco promo video so I was in a hurry then oilman messaged me and asked me what I said about onpage seo and if I said it was trash. I told him I did not think it was trash but rather thought people put WAY WAY to much emphasis on on page SEO. He asked me to call in and talk to him and Greg so I did 😉
I did not know what to expect… honestly these guys have been doing SEO since before I was on the internet so I expected to get owned… and I did not know what had been discussed on the air. They asked me if I said onpage SEO was Garbage on my show the previous week with Quadzilla. I said I would not say it was “Garbage” but I would say that people place far to much emphasis on onpage seo and not enough in the domain/url/anchortext/authority/ageofdomain. For example I said I could make a page rank just by using domain and url (for instance ringtone.com/ringtone.html) and have ZERO onpage content but it would rank for ringtone yet I could not have a new domain with excellent seo’d out on page content rank anywhere close.
I also explained that I thought that 95% of SEO was super simple but the remaining 5% is where the real secret sauce is that guys like Greg Boser and Todd Friesen know because they have been pushing limits and experimenting in the dark arts for a long time they can apply what they learned to the corporate area.
It seemed like they agreed with me for the most part. They just wanted to make sure I was not saying that onpage seo meant nothing.
I come from a really different background then these guys do… I built a service oriented website that spread virally like fire and I knew nothing about SEO really but what I did made since and I was and still rank tops for some of the most competitive terms on the net.
I am not saying SEO companies are bullshit but I do understand why someone like Jason Calacanis would say something like that. He also built a successful community while knowing very little about SEO and was able to dominate the serps.
I just feel like whitehat SEO’s are like 21st century car salesmen. Lets cut the bullshit for a minute. I find it funny when a whitehat seo tries to engage me in a debate about seo morals and there website is like http://whitehat-seo-company.com/seo-company-search-engine-optimization.html …. umm seriously. I dont even need to see your onpage content. If blackhat seo is trying to alter the search engines ranking of your website from what would naturally be then your spammy ass urls are definatly not whitehat. Now I am not saying this is wrong but I am saying in my opinion its suspect gray area.
Anyway if you want a real SEO ask them how many blackhat forums or sites they read. If they tell you none then move on. They at least need to be educated in the dark arts even if not practicing.
People are so scared to talk about this in the open for fear they will be associated with “black hats”. Its really interesting because from my years as a security administrator attending all the security conferences the “black hats” are the most respected members there are. Just like SEO it was not always like that. Back in the day if you would associate yourself with hackers or “black hats” then people were scared you would be on the FBI watch list (or now the matt cutts watch list for seo) but NOW in the security world guess who speaks at all the conferences and authors all the books? Its not the whitehat security dumbasses its all the legendary blackhats.
I really feel that the Search industry will be like that in a few years. The blackhats will be respected for not only there mastery of how the whitehat world works but there comprehension of how the other side works…
I mean do people really just not comprehend that blackhat is NOT about clickfraud or cracking or XSS or BREAKING THE LAW its about educating yourself and mastering how all aspects of SEO work and why… the right way AND the wrong way. Seriously im not joking when I say 95% of whitehat is so easy its stupid easy basic stuff. What do you do when you master that. Me, I always try to learn more.
Maybe I just have a different definition of “blackhat” then most.
If you wonder who I would use for a SEO you can check my recommended list.
Wow I wrote way to much.