Don’t you hate it when you write a great blog post and no one comments on it? Whether you have a few readers or thousands of readers reading your blog, it seems that many people are having trouble to get hundreds of comments. If you want to increase the number of comments on each of your blog posts, here are a few things you can do:
1. Bait your readers – make sure your blog posts end with an open ended question to your readers. If you want people to leave comments then invite them to do so. Sometimes that extra push can make people comfortable to pop the first comment up there or just join the rest of the discussion.
2. Leave room for discussion – instead of writing a thorough blog posts that covers everything from the moon to the sun, write short blog posts that allow the readers to add input. By not covering everything it makes it easy for others to contribute to the conversation.
3. Reward your top commenters – if you want to get creative this is probably the best area to do so. Shoemoney rewards his top commenters by linking out to them on every page in his sidebar. This is a great way to get new readers to comment.
4. Use threaded comments – the advantage of threaded comments is that it makes it easy to follow and respond to conversations.
5. Write opinionated content – the more opinionated you get the more comments you are going to receive. If you want proof of this, just look at Shoe’s post on President Bush.
6. Subscribe to comments – once someone places a comment you can give them an option that says “Notify me of follow up comments via e-mail”. By doing this they may come back when someone else posts a comment and then add another comment.
There are probably tons of other methods you can use to increase the number of comments on your blog, anyone have any other suggestions?