EDIT: Looks like WordPress 2.6 Beta 1 has been released today.
Been playing with WordPress 2.6 alpha for a bit with the new features. To the users it will appear like nothing really has changed on the surface but under the hood there are a bunch of new features.
My favorite new feature is the post revisions. I can’t tell you how many times I have had the same post open in multiple windows and accidentally over written a previous post. The only thing worse then doing a job is doing the same job over…
Here is a screen shot :
Here is a full run down of the features with links to sites for more information about a specific feature:
- Post Revisioning
- A “Press This” bookmarklet for tumblelog style quick posting
- Caching of static files with Gears for faster Admin page loads
- A new and improved image editing dialog that offers lots of control over the images in your posts
- Theme previewing as seen on WordPress.com
- Built-in word counting in the post editor
- The ability to disable remote publishing for the security conscious
- XML-RPC API for changing blog options
- Better SSL support for the Admin
- Hierarchy-aware paging in the Manage Pages and Manage Categories admin pages.
- The ability to relocate your content directory
- The ability to move wp-config.php out of your web root
- Drag-and-drop sortable galleries
- Customizable default avatars
- Bulk delete, activate, and deactivate for plugins
- Check box range selection with shift-click
- TinyMCE 220.127.116.11 with lots of bug fixes
- jQuery 1.2.6 with some nice performance improvements
- jQuery UI 1.5